Chia is high in fibre and protein so helps fill you up and stabilise blood sugar levels, so a great food to start the day with. It is also packed with Omega 3 fatty acids which we need for brain development and function, it is high in calcium, manganese, phosphorus, tryptophan (regulates appetite, sleep and improves mood), and the latest research shows it helps increase healthy cholesterol and decrease the LDL (the “bad cholesterol”) and triglycerides.
- 4 tablespoons of Chia
- 1 cup of milk (soy, almond, cows)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla essence or vanilla powder
- ¼ cup nuts – hazelnuts, almonds, cashews - your choice
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen (and defrosted) berries, or grated apple, sliced stone fruit , poached pears or whatever fruit you like
- ¼ cup natural yoghurt
- drizzle of honey or maple syrup
Mix chia, milk and vanilla in a glass/ceramic bowl and place in the fridge for 1-8 hours.
Once the chia has become gelatinous add the yoghurt, chopped nuts, berries and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. You can layer it in a jar or just in a bowl. Delicious.